Every bride wants to look beautiful and feel special on their wedding day. While it can be difficult to find your perfect dream dress, it is also rewarding when you do!
But how do you balance your fashion with staying eco-friendly? It takes a bitof extra research, but you’ll be helping the planet and your budget!
- Look for second-hand or gently used gowns near you!
- You can find a style that you like, even if you don’t love it, and get it altered to make it your dream dress! (In Ottawa, Darling Vintage looks promising for some vintage wedding dresses)
- Look for local designers and fabricators.
- Dresses made in factories and shipped across the world have the worst environmental impact. Consider local options, for instance in Ottawa, Norde Bridal (used to be Handmade Bride) make all of their dresses in Ottawa, and work with Canadian dress designers!
- Rent a dress!
- Why is renting a tux so much more acceptable than renting a dress for your big day? You’ll only wear it once so why not find one for rent? While it’s harder to find these in Ottawa than Toronto… There’s a boutique in Montreal that has new and used dresses for rent or purchase! (Oui je le voeux)
- Don’t forget about the rest of the wedding party (and your guests).
- Stores like Rent Frock Repeat offer rental dresses for almost any occasion! (Unfortunately bridal gowns are just about the only thing they don’t have). Be sure to let your friends, family, and bridesmaids know about stores like these as an option to help keep your wedding eco-friendly!